My insurance company hung up on me last night. The events that led up to this started with my wife and I having a home birth with our youngest daughter. With a home birth pretty much all of the expenses are out-of-pocket, then the insurance company reimburses you. Well, that’s been fine with all of the major expense which were reimbursed through my current provider. My previous provider however, has been a different story. I submitted an ultrasound claim 8 months ago to this insurance provider whose name I will withhold (UnitedHealthcare). I was told last week that my check was mailed to the doctor who provided the care originally. The ones we already paid!
So after a long “discussion” I was reassured that 8 months is a perfectly acceptable amount of time in which to settle a claim. Then the representative stated that she refused to debate with me any longer on the subject and then “click”. She hung up on me!
I think I’m going to need Michael Moore. Since his new documentary, SiCKO came out, he has been contacted by so many people who have been screwed by insurance companies that he came out with his own Health Care Card. The site gives the following instructions:
- Carry the card in your wallet with your insurance card.
- If denied treatment, show your SiCKO card to your doctor/insurer.
- Ask your insurer if they’d like to be in Michael Moore’s next movie, DVD, or appear on MichaelMoore.com.
- Tell them that, if denied, you will seek coverage from your local media.
- E-mail your story to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Has anyone else had problems getting reimbursed after submitting their own claim, or is it just me? Well, I’m giving them one last shot today and then I’m emailing America’s favorite propagandist.